- Sesamo Conference, Napoli, June 22-24, 2022
As part of the activities of the Egyclass network (axis 3: Ethnography of social classes) Aymon Kreil (University of Ghent) and Yasmine Berriane (CNRS) are organizing a panel at the 15th Congress of SESAMO (Società per gli studi sul Medio Oriente) which will take place in Naples from 22 to 24 June.
The panel, chaired by Daniele Cantini (Martin Luther University of Hall) will focus on the theme: Class, a Useful Category for Ethnography? Case Studies from Egypt and Morocco. ( Link to the panel here ).
The speakers will present the following contributions:
– When Class Enters the Body : Reflections on Ethnography, Masculinity, and Embodiment in Cairo – Carl Rommel (Uppsala University)
– Out of Place: Class Aspirations and Mobilities Among Contemporary Egyptian Fiction Writers – Giedrė Šabasevičiūtė (Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences)
– May the real working-class please stand up? Ethnographic Approaches to Class through Space in Contemporary Morocco – Cristiana Strava (Leiden University)
– The Task of the Ethnographer: Vernacular Art Communities and Precarious Social Classes – Farouk El Maarouf (Justus-Liebig-University Giessen).
- Forum Insaniyyat, Tunis, September 20-24, 2022